Sunday, November 3, 2013

Father reincarnates as son?

QUESTION: How are these items related:

Pinocchio the movie, remembrance of past lives, my son at 5-years of age?


TRUE STORY

Back in 1985, when my son Dixon was 5-years old, I took him to a local theater to see Pinocchio. I hadn't seen this movie since I was about seven, but have fond memories of that experience. So, after weeks of anticipation and of reading the Little Golden Book version of this beloved children's story to my son over and over, movie day finally arrived. And it was to be the boys' day out (no mom, just me and the kid).

The theater was packed and both of us were eager for the film to start. Just before the lights dimmed, I told Dixon:

"You know what? I was about your age when I saw this movie, and it was the first movie I ever saw by myself."

Then I got a shock, as Dixon immediately piped up: "No you didn't, I was sitting right behind you." Then he turned toward the screen as the movie had just started.

As you can imagine, it was hard for me to get over that revelation. A few days later, I called my mom and told her what Dixon had said, and then I told her (for the first time) exactly how it came about that I had seen Pinocchio "by myself." Which goes something like this:

I had already seen the movie a few days ago, on a Saturday. But I loved it so much, I wanted to see it again. The Uptown Theater (in Chicago ) was just one block from my home, so I asked my mom if I could see it again that evening. She laughed and said no, that I had to go to bed early because I had school the next day, and (besides) she was making dinner which would be ready soon.

Well, no sooner did she turn her back to continue making dinner, I spied a quarter lying on the kitchen table, took it, and flew out the door. [Yeah, I'm showing my age: Back then (in 1958) movies cost a quarter and if you wanted popcorn, well that was an extra 15 cents.]

I remember it was getting dark as I crossed the street, heading toward the theater. And then I bumped into my dad (who passed away in 1973) who was coming home from work. When he asked where I was going in such a hurry, I told him the truth (actually, I couldn't think of a convincing lie quickly enough). He laughed and said I should come home with him because supper would be ready soon. Well, I put up such a fuss, he just let me go. And I remember having sat in that theater feeling out of place, since there were only a handful of patrons there.

That's all I remember, I explained to my mom. I don't recall what happened when I came home. Did anyone yell at me or give me a hard time? I can't remember.

When I told my mom this story, she thought for a moment and said, "If you bumped into your father and told him you were on your way to see a movie, he might have let you go, just like you said. But...I'm sure he would have followed you and, like Dixon said, sat behind you in the theater. We knew a young girl who was almost molested in that theater, so there's no way he would have ever let you go alone."

Then my mom told me what she saw when she babysat Dixon once, while my wife and I went out on the town. He was about five months old and my mom was watching his face as he slept. Even though Dixon looks nothing like my father, for a brief moment she saw an expression pass over his face that reminded her of my dad. When I told my best friend about this, he asked, "Do you think your father got reincarnated as your son?"

Even though I'm a Buddhist and could readily believe this possibility, I told him I wasn't sure. Buddhist folklore mentions individuals being possessed by spirits, so perhaps that was it: Maybe my dad's spirit spoke to me through my son. I try very hard not to jump to conclusions concerning such things. But I am respectful of mysteries and hope, through patience and an open mind, to understand these affairs someday.


Steven Searle, just another member of the Virtual Samgha of the Lotus

“Spiritual matters should be discussed frankly, forthrightly, and in depth by anyone calling himself a Buddhist. I’ll be sure our point of view will be heard. Lord knows, the Abrahamists have had their say for quite a long time” – Steve.


Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment