Monday, November 18, 2013

Buddhists, Armageddon, and Protection by Devils

End of Days

Christians, Jews, and Moslems all believe in the End of Days - after which the earth and the physical universe will cease to exist. This belief may well turn into another one of many self-fulfilling prophesies.

And the Buddhists? They don't believe in this Western concept of the Ultimate Death of the Entire Physical Universe. They do believe that stars and galaxies, just like humans, have life spans - meaning that they are born, live, die and are reborn.

Being a Buddhist, I am not afraid of a Biblically-prophesied End of Days simply because no such thing will ever happen. I will, however, mourn in advance the billions who will perish should humanity continue playing with nuclear fire. Concerning my own personal safety, the following scriptural passage comforts me:

"When living beings witness the end of a kalpa* and all is consumed in a great fire, this, my land, remains safe and tranquil, constantly filled with heavenly and human beings" - Shakyamuni Buddha [Lotus Sutra, page 230, translated by Burton Watson].

  *[Wikipedia's definition: A regular kalpa is about 16 million years long, a small kalpa lasts 16 billion years, a medium kalpa (320 billion years), a great kalpa (1.28 trillion years).]

If I am around at the "end of a kalpa" (during one of my future lifetimes, many eons from now), I will not worry about being "consumed in a great fire." I am determined to make it to the Buddha's land, which coexists (kind of like an overlay) with the world seen by ordinary human beings.

If I am around at the time of the Battle of Armageddon, which many believe will be a few short years from now, I will also not worry - for the same reason. However, since the primary Buddhist teaching is compassion for all living beings, I vow to do my best to prevent this humanly-caused Armageddon. I am asking for your help to create the new politics (a form of engaged Buddhism)  necessary to stop these fools from ending it all in the name of a creational God who doesn't exist.


Protection By and Mercy for Devils

In the Grand Western Tradition, there is no hope for Devils. In the Buddhist view, even Devils can attain enlightenment. Consider this, from the Lotus Sutra (Burton Watson's edition, page 309):


QUOTE BEGINS:

At that time there were daughters of rakshasa** demons, ... the tenth named Stealer of the Vital Spirit of All Living Beings. These ten rakshasa daughters, along with the Mother of Devil Children, her offspring, and her attendants, all proceeded to the place where the Buddha was and spoke to the Buddha in unison, saying, "World-Honored One, we too wish to shield and guard those who read, recite, accept, and uphold the Lotus Sutra and spare them from decline or harm....World-Honored One, we will use our own bodies to shield and guard those who accept, uphold, read, recite, and practice this sutra."

The Buddha said to the rakshasa daughters, "Excellent, excellent! If you can shield and guard those who accept and uphold the mere name of the Lotus Sutra, your merit will be immeasurable. How much more so if you shield and guard those who accept and uphold it in its entirety..."

QUOTE ENDS.


  **[Definition: "rakshasa: An evil or malignant demon who sometimes appears in Buddhist scriptures as a protector of Buddhism." - page 336, Lotus Sutra.]


The Implication?

Even the malevolent, deep down in their heart of hearts, want to be good, want to become enlightened. Of course, there are bitter angry people out there who will seize my words here as proof that I seek the protection of Devils, that I even - gasp! - consort with them. For indulging in such sentiments, they themselves must be considered devilish at worst, simple at best. I must keep reminding myself that even these spiritually-challenged people have a deep-seated desire to become Buddhas. And I hope to do my part to help make that happen.


Steven Searle, just another member of the Virtual Samgha of the Lotus

Contact me at bpa_cinc@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment